ICC Cricket World Cup Points Table 2023: The biggest and most prestigious tournament in the history of cricket is here. The quadrennial ICC Men’s ODI Cricket World Cup 2023 is set to commence on October 5 and last until November 19, 2023.
Ten of the best teams in the world will battle to lift the coveted World Cup trophy. Over the course of one and a half months, it will be decided which team is the best in the world. England is the current World Cup champion, while New Zealand finished as the runner-up in both the 2015 and 2019 World Cup seasons.
India is the host of the 2023 World Cup, and also the number one ranked ODI team on the planet, and as such, a favourite to lift the trophy. Australia and Pakistan have also been performing well lately.
The World Cup also follows the limited 50-over ODI format and a round-robin method of scheduling games. The first match of the 2023 Cricket World Cup will be played on October 5 between New Zealand and England at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
On that note, we bring you the ICC World Cup 2023 points table and team rankings. Keep checking here at Jagran Josh as we extensively cover the tournament and bring you the latest and updated World Cup 2023 standings.
ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 Points Table
The 2023 ICC World Cup will follow a round-robin format in which all ten teams will compete against each other. There will be 45 games in the league stage. The top 4 teams will play the semi-finals, and the last game will be the final for a total of 48 games over 45 Days.
Match 45: India vs Netherlands
- In the 45th match of the World Cup, India beat Netherlands by 160 runs.
India: 410/4 (50 Overs)
: 250 (47.5 overs)
- India finished at the top of the points table after the league stage. The hosts India dominated the competition and won all 9 games.
- South Africa and Australia came in second with 14 points each.
- After a tough battle with Pakistan and Afghanistan in the last few matches, New Zealand managed to secure the fourth spot with 10 points.
- India will play New Zealand in the Semi-Final 1 of the 2023 ODI World Cup and South Africa will face Australia in the Semi-Final 2.
How Net Run Rate is Calculated in ODI Cricket World Cup 2023?
- Cricket has become highly competitive, and in major tournaments, many teams end up with the same points and number of games won. One method of breaking ties is through the Net Run Rate (NRR).
- A team’s net run rate is defined as the difference between the average runs scored by that team throughout the competition and the average runs scored against that team in the competition.
- If a team is all out before playing the full quota of overs, the net run rate is calculated based on the total overs, not the overs the team was dismissed in.
India scored 700 runs in 150 overs at a rate of 4.66 rpo. [700/150]
The combined runs of teams playing against India are 497 in 150 overs, so the run rate = 3.31 rpo.
Net Run Rate = RR (For - Against)
= 4.66 - 3.31
Hence, India has a positive run rate
ICC World Cup Points Table (2011 - 2019)
2019 World Cup
Runner Up: New Zealand
2015 World Cup
Runner Up: New Zealand
2011 World Cup
Runner Up: Sri Lanka